James Hansen, most known for his engagement in climate science, gives his take on how to replace the fossil energy. In this video he gives a brief overview, but the main topic is nuclear energy.
Some remarks and comments:
– Many countries show by example how renewables can supply demand (Germany, Denmark, Scotland etc), thus it is unclear when he says renewables can’t provide enough energy.
– All countries does not have the same potential for renewable energy.
– Renewable can never replace coal or nuclear as base load power.
– He doesn’t say we should not use renewable. Just that we can’t provide all the energy we need with it.
– Being more efficient with energy just ain’t enough. As soon as someone uses less energy, someone else will burn it instead. We need to make the fossil energy more expensive with incentives in order to lower the demand and use.